Tuesday 31 October 2017

#KenyaElectionDiaries: One Election; Two tales

I had gone to refill my cooking gas at Githurai when the news that Uhuru Kenyatta had been announced as winner in the re-run elections broke. Jubilant tunes and dance broke. Matatus and Bodaboda hooted, men, women and children whistled in delight. The Kenyan flags where being sold at 50 bob. The jubilee flags were free! They all danced in jubilation. I met a former security guard of USIU who was rather gloomy and unperturbed by the celebration. I asked him subtly what the celebration was all about. He grinned and said "Uhuru wao ameshinda". The few people I interacted with spoke to me in Kikuyu. I smiled and told them "Tano tena" As I drove off towards the now crowded Githurai roundabout they chanted "Tanzania Tuko Pamoja" when they saw my car registration. I put on the hazard lights and hooted as I drove off! #KenyaElectionDiaries

No comments:

Post a Comment

[ZELEZA] Malawi’s Political Earthquake: Nullification of the Presidential Elections

By Prof Paul Tiyambe Zeleza  3/2/2020 The Malawian Constitutional Court has annulled last year's presidential election results....

Most Viewed