Friday 5 October 2012

What a Good Prayer!

Universal Prayer
Post-communion Group  

Lord, I believe in You: 

but let me believe more strongly. 
I love You: but let me love You more ardently. 
I sorrow, but deepen my sorrow for my sins. 

I adore You as my first beginning, 

I long for You as my last end, 
I praise You as my constant benefactor, 
I call on You as my loving protector.

Guide me by Your wisdom,

hold me with Your justice,
comfort me with Your mercy, 
protect me with Your power.

I offer You, Lord, my thoughts, 

my words, to be fixed on You, 
my actions, to be according to You, 
my sufferings and to be endured for You.

I want to do what You want, 

in the way You want, 
for as long as You want, 
because You want.

I pray, O Lord, enlighten my understanding, 

inflame my will, 
purify my heart, and sanctify my soul.

May I weep for my former iniquities, 

repel future temptations, 
correct my faults, 
and cultivate suitable virtues.

Grant me, O God, love of You, 

hatred of myself, 
zeal for my neighbor, 
and contempt for the world.

May I be eager to obey my superiors, 

be courteous to my inferiors, 
faithful to my friends, 
and to forgive my enemies.

Help me to conquer sensuality with austerity,

greed with generosity, 
anger with gentleness, 
apathy with fervor.

Make me prudent in planning, 

steadfast in danger, 
patient in adversity,
and humble in prosperity.

O Lord, make me attentive in prayer, 

temperate in drink, 
diligent in my duties,
and firm in purpose.

May I take care to have an innocent interior, 

a modest exterior, 
exemplary speech,
and a well and ordered life .

May I be ever-watchful in guarding against my weaknesses, 

cherishing Your grace, 
keeping Your laws,
and coming to salvation.

May I learn from You the passing nature of this world, 

the grandness of heaven, 
the shortness of this life,
and the life to come eternal.

Grant that I may prepare for death, 

fear judgment, 
flee from Hell, 
and obtain paradise.
Grant this though Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[ZELEZA] Malawi’s Political Earthquake: Nullification of the Presidential Elections

By Prof Paul Tiyambe Zeleza  3/2/2020 The Malawian Constitutional Court has annulled last year's presidential election results....

Most Viewed