Monday 10 September 2012

I dreamt of a Holiday to Somalia


Somali MPs chose a new president today. This comes after periods of relative calm in the Horn of Africa country. After decades of civil war brought about by clan based violence and later Islamic insurgency, Somalia is coming to birth. After the election of new Members of Parliament late last month, the newly-elected MPs are convening at a police academy in Mogadishu for the secret ballot to elect a new president. This comes after the passing of a new constitution which has laid the foundations of building a new Somalia. 

I remember telling my friends that I will one day go to Somalia for holiday. My friends brushed me off in such a sarcastic manner. For me, I saw that Somalia will one day abandon their guns and go to the ballot. Somalia is a great nation with beautiful people. Filled with vibrancy, the Somali people are renowned for their business grit and strong entrepreneurial acumen. I know they will build their nation. I wish them well.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

[ZELEZA] Malawi’s Political Earthquake: Nullification of the Presidential Elections

By Prof Paul Tiyambe Zeleza  3/2/2020 The Malawian Constitutional Court has annulled last year's presidential election results....

Most Viewed